Sunday, May 18, 2008

So yay! I had my birthday, obviously, and it was good times. I celebrated by teaching a couple classes at the primary school (they both sang happy birthday to me because my co-teachers knew it was my bday), a rousing dinner at McDonald's, and then bowling!

Since then, I have been predominantly working in the primary schools both on this campus and the other. I have also been to the beach a few times...back to Repulse Bay, then Shek O, half-hearted beach trip to an island whose name I forget, and Lantau. I think I could make a habit of going every Friday, assuming it doesn't rain. I've been wandering around Hong Kong some, doing a bit of shopping, sightseeing, eating. I went to the Bun Festival on Monday, which was at the above island. It was crazy crowded, there was a long parade, lots of buns, etc. It was fun, although incredibly overwhelming.

I've been doing a lot of reading and studying as well. I started Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov about a week and a half ago. It's really good, but of course incredibly intense. And sometimes, I'm just not quite up to a good theological and psychological discussion of everything and anything. Which is why I got The Phantom Tollbooth from the library today. I'm partway through several books right now: Brothers K, Phantom Tollbooth, The Woodlanders by Hardy, starting a book of Robert Browning's poems, have started Umberto Eco's Faith in Fakes, am almost consistently somewhere in the middle of The Secret History, and I'm about to start a Concise History of the Catholic Church. I really do need to make a list of what all I've read in HK. I think it would be illuminating.
The LSAT studying is happening, and it's having a slow but much needed effect. Although I'm still missing quite a few questions, first off I'm missing less, secondly I feel like I have a better grasp on the test (that is to say, I'm not guessing on half the questions), and finally I don't hate it quite as much as I used to. Today alone I've spent about three plus hours with it. Yesterday I worked for about three as well. Either Monday or Wednesday I'm going to make myself sit down and take a full-out test (five sections instead of four). Less than four weeks now...the panic has *finally* kicked in.

Many primary school lessons this week, lots of studying, hopefully a beach excursion, and I'd like to knock out a couple hundred pages of Brothers K if possible, read some poetry, finish the Hardy book because it's not long or hard but I've been reading miserly bits for almost three weeks, etc. And I want to take either the 271 or the 307 and get lost in TST or Central respectively. I mean, my purpose is not to get lost, but rather to wander. Although knowing me, the getting lost is bound to happen.

No comments: