Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'm down to the last month in Hong Kong, which is crazy. My time in college flew, but this! This was ridiculous...seems like only days ago I was getting back from our China trip, and not that long ago that it was still 'cold' out.

Now, it's humid, hot, rainy, and bug-infested. But that deters me not at all...well, okay, actually it deters me a bit. Hate bugs and go into panic mode at sight of them usually, rain has prevented the beach excursions, and the humidity just makes it hard to see (when I come out of the AC, or the air-con if you will, my glasses fog up preventing sight and encouraging near death encounters with large busses). But! Life is good. And KY humidity probably won't feel half so bad...maybe.

Have not managed to do many of the things I mentioned in the last post, except study. Putting in anywhere from two to four hours a day, and it's helping. *fingers crossed* Have also read three and a half Heinlein books since I think Thursday. No, I haven't finished Brothers K, but am working on that too.

I bought new glasses yesterday. Made the (correct) choice between getting my hair chemically restraightened and spending the money (plus some) on a pair of glasses that I will be able to use for years. Love the ones I have, but I need the new prescription. And it's cheaper to buy them here. At least the lenses are by quite a bit. If I'd buy cheaper frames, it would help, but hey! I think that the total price is still under what my current ones cost, just not as cheap as I could have gotten.

Have discovered that 7eleven sells frozen xiao long bao. It's not the best ever, but it makes a nice snack change to cup noodles. I cannot wait to get back to the States and have a few American dinners. The food here is great, but sometimes, you just want a steak. Or a brautworst (spelling?). Or that pasta dish with brie. Or cheese. Lots of bread and cheese. ANd to drink water at restaurants. I like tea a lot, and coke is okay, but I grew up drinking water with my meals, and I miss that. Or to make cookies, brownies, and cake with home-made icing. Yum!

No comments: