Sunday, August 19, 2007

The days are just flying.

So let's see. Friday, we went on a tour of the New Territories (I think I'll have to send pics out separately, as I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos to this yet). All of us, on a bus, with three guides. It was pretty fun. Some of the places/scenes were 'rural' with great views of natural landscapes, like huge mountains, waterfalls, and the ocean. Others had views of the man-made cities...we went up this one mountain and at the top there was a pavilion with a fenced in area and we could see Sha Tin (I think) and all the tall buildings (maybe it was Tai Po, now that I think about...one of those, anyway). It was awe-inspiring. We also saw China, interestingly. Tshenzhen (spelling?) which is pretty much right next to us. We're closer to the mainland than to Central, which is crazy. We're all hoping to get our visas to go to China within the next month or so. We have to get our ID cards for HK first. Let's see. We ate at this restaurant where we received a 'basin' lunch. It was intense. They bring out a huuuuuge basin of meat including pork, fried pig skin, chicken, squid, fish balls, etc. They put it on a burner, and it bubbles. That is the only way to describe what our food did; it jiggled up and down. It was not appetizing, for me. I ate some, to be polite/be able to say I've eaten at a basin feast.

That night, some of us wanted to go out for dinner, so we went into Mong Kok. We took the bus to Tai Po, the KCR to East Kowloon Tong (I believe), and the MTR to Mong Kok. We came out on this street that was so lit up by shops, ads, and billboards, that it was brighter than day is sometimes. We wandered around in a daze until we saw a sign for Korean food. It was buffet barbecue style. Really good, although somewhat overwhelming. Enjoyable. Afterwards, we again wandered before heading home. It took about an hour or so to get back home, so by the time we got back, I was exhausted. Having been out in the heat all day and then out for four or five hours that night was intense.

On Saturday, I got up early to go with a friend to get his id card in Kwun Tong...wandered around for lunch (dim sum in a side restaurant somewhere). We met up with three other ETAs and one of their friends and went to Ocean Park. They have the pandas there!!! We waited in line for over an hour, but got to see pandas wandering around and eating and being adorable. We then waited in line again for another hour to get on the cable car to cross over to the other side of the park. It was beautiful. It goes up a mountain and then across to another mountain. The line runs right around the coast, and you can see the South China sea from it. Gorgeous. We got over there, but it was so hot and crowded. I've never been in such close contact with so many other sweaty pushy people. I thought I was going to pass out from the heat and being really tired. Anyway, we went to the water show, where the dolphins and seals did tricks etc. We also went to the shark aquarium. It was awe-inspiring....you go in to this dark room and see a huge tank of these enormous creatures swimming in a lit pool. They had your run of the mill sharks, so to speak, manta rays, sword fish, etc. Then you walk through this glass tunnel where they are all around and above you. Amazing. The heat got to us eventually, and we headed for home (bus, metro, train, bus) and had dinner at a curry place in Tai Po where we had been once before. Good food, very reasonably priced. Got home, showered, and crashed. Slept till 10 the next morning (today).

Had a chill day. I did laundry, went to the pool with the people on my hall, made dinner, and ran into Tai Po for a couple hours with a friend. Good times. I needed a chill day.
Unfortunately, I also need to look at my Cantonese. I'm having a lot of difficulties learning said language, but I shall persevere! Until next semester, when I may switch to Putanghua :)

1 comment:

redwhiner said...

Welllll....WOW! I'm glad you are getting out and seeing places. I'm going to google a map to see if I can find some of these places.