Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's another hot Sunday night, and I've just come back from food in Tai Po. I had noodles with 'spicy' pork and tea. Since last I posted, this is what has happened:

1) tour of Central - all the ETAs went into Central and walked around. We had a lovely lunch at a restaurant (some dim sum and then a few other dishes ordered at random). We went through Lan Kwai Fong, which, after hours, becomes a huge draw for foreigners to the bars and clubs. We walked past the American embassy, went to the office of International Institute of Education, etc.

2) barbecue - the students at JCSQ (the student housing where I'm assigned to work but don't live) invited us to a barbecue on Thursday night. We literally skewered meat on metal prongs and held them over the fire. When they were almost done, we spread honey on them, held them over the fire for a bit longer, and then ate them. Tasty, but it took quite a long time for each thing to be finished.

3) became a 'registered person' - went to Kwun Tong office to register as living in HK. I had to fill out a form, then they took my picture, then they took my thumb prints which will go onto a smart chip and be inserted into my id .

4) ate a lot of good food. :)

5) been in a water fight - with JCSQ peoples...and apparently the next gathering we have they're going to make us sing and play telephone...in Cantonese. *faints quietly*

6) played basketball - although the words 'playing basketball' are misleading. I've been shooting hoops. Badly. But still. I'm moving around. I feel very lazy half the time...besides the walking, I'm not doing any dance or anything, so I feel like I'm not getting any exercise, yet eating so much. I've also been swimming. The pool here is really nice.


7) misc other - laundry, room cleaning, a spot of shopping, etc. We had induction to the Centre for Learning Education the other day. We still don't know our schedules, although classes start tomorrow, but we now know where everything is!

8) I miss the laundry at Bryn Mawr. *sigh* You never appreciate how good it is till it's gone, no?

9) Apparently the pics I tried to send out in a word doc didn't go through...and rumor has it that all other Window's office programs before 2007 are incompatible with 2007. Which is annoying beyond all belief. So I shall try to figure out how to add pictures if possible.

2 comments:

Brymer Photo said...

Laura, about the pics. Trying opening up a flickr account on yahoo. Easy to upload and then all you have to do is link to them. Might even be able to embed photos in your blog using the links. A thought. Uncle B.

Shelley, the Crafty Lawyer said...

You can also do Picasa since you're already on the google stuff...your google account will work on picasa. Also, everything is compatible with Office 2007 and Word 2007 has an option of saving to previous versions in the "Save As" menu.