Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Monday started the last few days of English class/Cantonese lessons for awhile. We'll pick Cantonese back up in September, but only for once a week or so for about a month I think.

Monday night four of us who are working in the Jockey Club Student Quarters met up with their equivalent of Res Life. We had dinner at the Canteen (I had a rice noodle soup with beef balls...odd), and then they took us to a 'performance'. The new students, presumably first years, have started coming in, and so there were lots more people on campus than I'm used to seeing. The show was a viewing of various clubs on campus. So we saw hip hop, more 'traditional' dance, karate, drama, music, etc. Very interesting, actually. The hip hop in particular, for it's almost an entirely different approach to the music, even though they were using American songs ("Ring the Alarm" and "Like a Boy" for example). The only problem with the show was that 1) it was two and a half hours long and 2) it was entirely in Cantonese. Almost a culture shock. Everyone there was so much more enthused than I've ever seen frosh at American colleges. And all of them wear the same t-shirt for orientation apparently. One of the non-performance highlights was when the two emcees pitched (literally pitched) cups of noodles at the audience. One came flying in between me and the person next to me...we both dodge out of the way and it smacked into the person behind us.

Today I went into Kowloon Tong to the mall. I know it sounds like I shop a lot, or go window shopping a lot, but it's only because every single train station has a mall practically attached to it. And I've been to other areas that are non-shopping oriented...being more food oriented instead, I suppose. But in the evenings, there's just not the time to go out on a big excursion of sorts. Plus, it's too humid/hot to do all that much outside without sweating to death. So when the weather cools off and I have a more condensed schedule, I hope to go elsewhere. But I ate at a ramen place, but not like the ramen that we have that comes in those plastic packs back home. These were much more noodley. I bought a messenger bag because the strap of mine broke off and I can't get a needle through the layers of thick material to fix it.

Anyway, came back. Here I am! I should go study. We did numbers and money this week, which will be incredibly useful, if I can only learn how to hear them.

1 comment:

redwhiner said...

Ha ha ha, flying noodles! Are the messenger bags cool in Hong Kong?