Wednesday, September 26, 2007

So all that stuff I said I was going to do on Sunday? I know this will come as a huge shock, but I didn't do most of it. Did read a lot, but didn't read the things that needed to be read.

Anyway, I'm still feeling sick. It goes off and on, and sometimes I think I'm all right again (like this morning) only to realize that I am still incredibly sick (like tonight). I must have caught something somewhere along the way. *oof*

But! Very exciting news...I got my hair chemically straightened today! But let me back up a bit.

Yesterday was the Mid-Autumn Festival. Despite stomach trauma, I went into Hong Kong to Victoria Park...met up with some of the other research Fulbrighters prior to that for dinner. We watched some dancing, some acrobatics, etc., and walked around looking at the lanterns and people out celebrating. Then I headed back...all that standing was exhausting.

Woke up today, intending to do work. But it was a public holiday (thus no classes) and a beautiful day, too good to waste in the office. So instead I went to Festival Walk, a huge mall on the KCR line at Kowloon Tong. *blush* Got lunch and then! I went to the Esprit Salon and got my hair done. It took, kid you not, three hours. Let me detail it for you, in steps:

1) pick out hair package (1088 HKD for the straightening, cut, and full-size gift product, which ended up being some nice shampoo, pricey, but in my opinion completely worth it)
2) hair washed
3) conditioner put in...thirty minutes spent under a dryer
4) hair washed
5) hair blow dryed
6) chemicals applied (I think to remove the protein or something?)
7) weird heating/drying device used
7) hair washed
8) hair blow dryed
9) hair straightened with a flat iron
10) more chemicals applied (to put the protein back in to make it hold?) and let stay on for ten mins
11) hair washed (again)
12) hair blow dryed
13) hair cut
14) got bottle of product and paid

*whew* Beauty comes at such a price. But it looks good. I mean, I straightened my hair back in the States, but this is wonderfully and evenly done. And it's so straight. And shiny. And silky feeling. I washed it when I got home (it smelled of chemicals and I had little hairs all over me) and I just ran a brush through it and let it air dry...and it dryed to a flawless straightness. At first, I was a little leery of the cut itself...it's really straight cut in the back, which I haven't had for awhile. But it's growing on me, and since I'm growing my hair out, having the layers evened out was probably a good move.

Anyway, a meeting tomorrow late morning, then working on stuff that needs to be done/read/prepared, then Aladdin rehearsal. Off to bed! Or to read for a few hours. Similar, really.