Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What a fantabulous day, all said and done.

I had my first solo Help Desk shift (IEd students sign up and come talk to us about questions specifically, a writing sample, or just to talk to practice their English). It went well...I had two for a half hour each, and the conversation went relatively well I think.

I met up with peoples for lunch. I then proceeded to go get my dressing from my surgery changed at the campus health center. I walked back to the library afterwards, because I've read everything in my room except for some of a book on Post-Colonial Lit and part of a Roald Dahl (spelling?) short stories collection. The one depresses me, the other scares me, and thus neither are appropriate for pre-bedtime reading. I got a few books, including "When We Were Orphans" which I just started and am thoroughly enjoying. It's funny...here, with the selection of trashy quick reads greatly decreased, I've turned to Brit Lit mysteries (Agatha Christie) as my fast reads and just a lot of 'big name' authors to pass the time I spend in my room: Saul Bellow, Woolf, Ben Okri (if you read PCLit), Thackeray, etc.

So, I was out of my room for about four hours, which frankly, is about the longest in almost two weeks. I'm able to put weight on my right leg, which helps take the pressure off my arms, and so I'm able to stay out and move around better. Still incredibly exhausting, of course. But good.

It was wonderful, to be honest, to see people. To be a part of society again. On my way between the Health Center and the Library, I stopped to talk to three people. I caught up with someone else on my way to auditions. It's just nice to be out again.

Came back to my room for a few hours...couldn't nap although lying down made my arms/back feel better. Read some (no surprise). Got up and meandered out again...met up for a brief meeting with peoples then went to the second day of auditions for Aladdin. It went well...we have a rough idea of casting, though nothing definite, of course. Having spent so many years as a performer, be it a musical, play, or dance piece, it's incredibly interesting to be on the other side, to essentially dissect and discuss each person's capabilities, express doubts, praise, without worrying about gossip. Interesting. We'll see if the cast gets - well, cast, as I think would be good. If not, we work with what we get.

I went to the other dorm where I work after auditions (which went 6:30-9:30). Was there till 11 for 'English Coffer Corner' or whatever it's called. Talked with students, played cards, socialized again. We played spoons. I haven't played that in aaaaages. We had a tournament of Spoons, eliminating people as we went. It ended with a face-off of the card game Speed between myself and another ETA who had beaten me in several previous games of it. And I won. :) Granted, the cards lined up nicely, but hey. It happens.

I'm a little sore. Who am I kidding, I hurt quite a bit. I have Physical Therapy for the first time tomorrow at the hospital. An hour of it. I just hope it doesn't totally knock me out. I'd like to go to an Elementary French class in the afternoon and then work on my Spanish SAP, maybe finally get the books from the library. And Thursday will be a long day. And you know, maybe I should eat. I don't eat much anymore. I mean, one 'meal' a day. And a snack or two. I need to go buy food....*sigh* No wonder nothing fits.

that which don't kill me
can only make me stronger
i need you to hurry up now
cause i can't wait much longer

Ah Kanye...
That's addressed to my knee. Yes.

No comments: