Tuesday, October 16, 2007

So I've noticed something. And it's not a phenomenon limited to Hong Kong. Or foreign countries. This may sound like a sweeping generality, BUT, Americans are really loud. And I completely include myself in this category. When in groups with other Americans, we talk loudly. On campus, around town, on the bus, etc so on and so forth. We were coming back from an activity at the JC Student Quarters tonight, and we stopped outside one of the dorms (where some of us live) and were talking. The volume escalated to unbelievable proportions considering we were all standing within a few feet of each other and it was a quiet night, no background noise. I notice it in myself all the time...and it's one of those irritating aspects of my personality that I am aware of (at the time, prior to, immediately after) and yet cannot seem to control. Part of it is that I can't hear very well, or don't listen very well, and so I guess if I talk louder then maybe other people will as well. Such is life. I've been telling myself for ages that I need to speak quietly (and carry a big stick! Name the quote!...wow....new depths of dorkiness...of course, in three weeks, I'll be carrying two big sticks...made of metal...to wit, my crutches).

Speaking of crutches, which I also do a lot, I need to stop that, um, lost my train of thought.....
Oh right. I've decided that during the few days of convalescence where I am mostly incapable of motion (from experience, the first two or three days), I can study for the GRE/LSAT! I mean, I know I nap a lot in the first couple days, and what quicker way to knock myself out than to study vocab, apply formulas, and play logic games! *beams*

I wish I could say I had done lots of crazy things, gone somewhere, done something, seen someone. But sadly, the last however long, I've stayed close to home. I don't feel comfortable out and about right now for some reason. Partially because my left knee is starting to hurt, I think from over compensating for the weakness of the right knee. I hope it's fine. *knocks on wood* Anyway, have plans to go out Thursday night, but am thinking of bailing, because of my knee. And because we wouldn't be leaving till 10ish at night, to travel over an hour to go walk around/stand up for several hours. After three hours of rehearsal. It's tempting....I really would love to get off campus. But I'm thinking, since I have to meet with the surgeon soon, and I want to make sure everything's good with my knee so he clears me for the November 6th surgery, the sensible thing would be to remind myself that, while I may be bored off my rocker now, health should come first. I keep telling myself that I will be back to normal or thereabouts by New Year's, and that I'll have six more months to get my fill of Hong Kong. It's just hard right now.

I overuse parentheses.
Goodnight!!!!
(And by that I mean I'm off to read)

No comments: