Friday, November 2, 2007

I'm back. Wrapped from toes to hip on the right side. On crutches, but at least able to put weight on the leg. Hurts, all the time. More than last time. Sometimes the pain is okay, just a sort of in-the-background type thing. And other times it's a lot worse. But hey! I can just focus on recovering now. :) And I'm just glad it's over. I'm so glad it was early. I'd have been quite the bundle of nerves right now if it was still looming on next Tuesday. I suppose my only regret is that I didn't get to go to Page One and buy a bunch of American magazines for when I'm too out of it to focus on books.

I met with a teacher today who told me two interesting things. First, that she couldn't tell that I wasn't Chinese. And was surprised, as everyone seems to be, that I can't speak Cantonese or Mandarin...wondered if my parents spoke it back home. Which of course led to a brief discussion of how I was adopted, so no. Second, she told me I was gaining weight, and that I should be careful how much I eat. *sigh* Maybe I just never noticed this back home, but people are very much interested in weight issues. And now I get to be all worried about how fat I look again. *taps self on the nose* No, I'm not fat.

Anyway, this weekend will probably be spent in my room. The weather has gotten a lot cooler though, almost chilly, and there's a breeze. So much nicer than the last time when I came out of surgery and got sick from the heat. I have my window open and the fan going, and it's almost too breezy. I have work work to do this weekend, and if I thought I could sit in the office, I would go there. But sitting with my leg down hurts a lot...needs to be up, so I should probably stick to my room where I can prop it up on the bed. Sadly, I am using my pillow to cushion my leg, and thus have no pillow to cushion my head. *sad face* Ah well, there are greater hardships and tragedies in the world.

I'm off! To...continue sitting on my bed...maybe I should read all those African literature books I checked out of the library. Or I could just reread my friend's copy of Harry Potter 7 for the third time since I've been here. I think I want to try reading HP in Spanish. I've read the first three and a half books in French, which was actually really hard for me (even then, when I was taking French) because it's written using the passe simple, which I never really had a grasp on because you don't use it in speech and the level of writing I was doing at the time. But I think I know my past tenses well enough in Spanish to make a go of it. Perhaps I'll get HP 5 in Spanish (if I can find it), and then eventually I can own 1-7 in Franish! And own only 1-3 and 7 in English! I suppose I could get it in Chinese. But besides making me feel cool, it wouldn't really do all that much for me, since I can't read characters.
Right. I'm rambling and delusional. As Karen says, "Oh come on honey, we've got to, there's a, something's happening, I don't know what."

No comments: