Sunday, November 25, 2007

So it's Sunday night, I'm doing my typical at the office, which is a combination of getting a lot done and getting nothing done all at the same time. Oh and Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

Anyway. Let me tell you about Saturday. *takes a deep breath* But first let me remind you that I had knee surgery three and a half weeks ago.

An excursion, if you will, had been arranged for us to go to a beach with someone who had a lot to do with the creation of the program here. It was a beach/hiking day. Now, what we all assumed was that it would be a beach and then hiking for those who chose. I checked in with our contact here and asked if she knew anything, and she said no. What I should have done, of course, was to get the contact info for the person who arranged the trip, but I didn't, assuming that since we were taking a boat to the island, there would be somewhere that I could hang out and read while others hiked. Such was definitely not the case.
We got on the bus at 745am. Arrived at the pier at 815. A group of college JYA students show up (Junior Year Abroad) to go with us. Good times. The boat ride is a good hour and a half, and it was incredible. Islands, wind, sun, etc. A little chilly, but that's a boat for you. It finally pulls up at a concrete pier. No beach or anything remotely akin to it within eyesight. I'm thinking, mmkay, maybe it's a short walk away, I can do that, no big.
It's a 5 km hike up a mountain and down the other side. And I'm not talking about a little hill. I'm talking about a fairly steep incline. And I have to go...because there's nothing else around. Anyway, to spare you the details, some of the other ETAs walked slowly with me and we got there. We got lost and ended up in a rocky trench and a cow field at one point, but we got to the beach and it was beautiful. Goregous day, gorgeous view, wonderful in general. Of course, to get to the right beach, I had to either backtrack (fortyfive minutes probably) or go up another large rocky hill. Did that. Was fun. Reminded me of Bernheim forest, which I like.

Anyway, got there, ate, lay on the beach for a bit and then had to hike the 5k back to catch the boat. But before that, I had a bit of a brush with one of the other students. I believe she was trying to be nice, but it didn't work, whether intentionally or I don't even know what. (I actually had it written out here, but decided not to be petty...I mean, I'm not in college or a small petulant child anymore, so you'll have to take my word that she was rude) Actually, I think I am a small petulant child. But I'm trying to get over that.

All in all, despite the pain, it was a fun day. An adventure. And while my body hates me, I'm still glad that I went. Mostly. Kinda. :)

Totally different but equally important:
I'm looking for a picture book that's easy to read to the little ones (age 5) at the kindergarten. And I was looking online for ideas, and came across all these wonderful wonderful books I read as a kid. We had tons of picture books back home, and I didn't realize how many of them were so widely acclaimed. I think I've settled on "If you give a mouse a cookie" or one of the Curious Georges. I may end up sitting in the library rereading half of them tomorrow. Except, of course, that I have work to do.

I got my glasses, but I have to go back and get them adjusted. They're too loose...I kept trying to tell the person that, and he kept fiddling with the bit that goes behind your ears. But I've worn glasses long enough that I KNOW that on my face, you have to tighten it at the front or it's just going to fall off. *sigh* On the bright side, I can see. I didn't realize how much I actually needed the stronger prescription.

Let me see, what else?
My optional module got approved, so cheers.
Aladdin is going well.
We're going to China in two weeks.
I celebrated Thanksgiving with ETAs at KFC (good except they had no biscuits. What is the point of KFC without biscuits?).
I currently have a ginormous headache from the iced coffee I just drank.
I also have an unfortunately long list of things to be done tonight/tomorrow morning in terms of lesson prep.
I'm back to three times a week for PT. They are now attaching me to a pulley to work on range. I hate them sometimes. I mean, don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything, but sometimes it's really hard to like someone whose job it is to physically hurt you in the name of making you better. But I will reiterate once again that I really like my PT. She has a no-nonsense way about her that is exactly what I need. Now if I only actually did everything that she told me to do, I'm sure life would be better.

**edit**
Hahaha, so I edited the post right here. Why? Because I realize I made the same observation about this being the 3rd Tday away from home. Apparently I have a terrible memory. I could have sneakily deleted evidence of this and you would have been none the wiser. But I think it's funnier this way. Plus, it will amuse me a year from now when I go back and reread parts of this.
**end of edit**

Here I am again, trying to figure out how to end this post and rambling myself off into oblivion.
I guess I'll end with one of my favorite quotes from Lilo&Stitch.
*clears throat*

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind."

Come to think of it, that may be the only quote I know from Lilo&Stitch.

1 comment:

MCheng said...

Stitch: "This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good." :)